Sunday, July 5, 2009

York, former walled city

York
Trip cost £11.50

My friends and me decided to visit York, a former walled city. It's my second day tour in UK since I reached here. I viewed some photos of my friend who been there and get some useful information ie places to visit before departure. For me, it's a tired day as I did not have a good rest in the days before the trip. However, it's an enjoyable day...with all my mates. :)

My rail ticket
one ticket per route
from Sheffield- York- Sheffield

it's 7am in the morning,
and we, waiting for the train at platform 5

I decided to snap a photo of the railway station, it's nice.

i am not able to wait for a train to pass through
else, it will be a perfect photo ;p

Welcome to York, the former walled city

As we reached quite early, we have a walk in the city. I am not sure with what place is this, but it's nice. :)

unknown place ;p

The first stop of the day is National Railway Museum, the largest railway museum in the world. There are lots of railway in the museum, ranged from the old fashioned to the modern one. There is no entrance fees charged for this museum. So, it is worth to visit in my opinion.

the euro star

the engine of the train ;p
i think it's hard to control a train
there are too much buttons :s
Next, we drop by at the War Memorial Gardens at Leeman Road. This garden is opened to the public daily since year 1925. It is a memorial to those who involved in the Korean War. Today, it is also used to hosts the annual Service of Remembrance in the presence of the Lord Mayor and other Civic dignitaries.

a peaceful garden full with memory

The River Ouse at York

A visitor spot which should not be missed, York Minster. It is the largest cathedral in northern England. I did not join the treasury tour to discover the historical value of the cathedral, but I visited the York Minster Tower, which cost me £3.00. Its 275 steps, which is steep and dark. However, it's a satisfaction and no regrets to reach the top of the tower.

The entrance of York Minster ;p

light up the candles in the cathedral,
wishing the best for my family

see, that's how dark and steep the steps are...
and, with no regrets
the cathedral...
the york city view
the lovely blue sky...

giokteng, jinhoh, cheechin, weiwei & me...
at the top of the tower
Shortly after the visit, we went to Roman Bathhouse. It's located at the St. Sampson's Square, which is a strategic location in York.

Roman Bathhouse

The next station which we just drop by and snap some photo, The Merchant Adventurers' Hall. It is one the world's best medieval guild halls since 650 years ago, and it is in used to date. :) There is an unique collections of art, silver and furniture in the exhibit hall. However, we did not pay a visit to it, due to time and budget constraint.

The Merchant Adventurers' Hall

Not to be missed, the York Castle Museum. It is a leading museum demonstrating daily life of the peoples. It shows how peoples like us live by displaying thousands of household item and newly recreated room.

York Castle Museum

From the museum, you can see Clifford's Tower. The tower had a turbulent history. First, it surviving from 1,000 years of flood, fire and siege. Second, it previously functioned as a prison, gruesomely displayed the bodies of leaders of uprisings, and was even a court. Well, it's a sad case where I do not have a chance to visit because the Tower is closed for visitors by the time we reached.

Clifford's Tower

And, we saw this pub, The King's Arms Pub on the way to the next stop. This pub become famous with a weird reason, at least in our opinion. During floods, the ground floor of the pub is covered with water, and people can only drink at the second level of the pub. And thus, it is famous. Weird?!

The King's Arm Pub

I am not a Christian but I enjoyed visiting church in UK during my tours. Don't ask me why and there is no specific reason. I just enjoyed the feel of sitting in the church. I know it sounds weird.

St Mary Church @ York
in the church

I saw this orchid in the church,
and I recalled my dearest grandpa...
When we hungry, we decided to try some local english food. We tried out the english sausage of Little Macs at the market place. Yummy :)

Little Macs...selling burgers and hot dogs

hot dog £1.60When we feel tired, we just sit down and listen to the music..it's live, ok? Or just sit down relaxing ourself, under the warm sun..with a cup of coffee. Nice life :)

music presentation ;)
crowded restaurant under the sun
The YorkBoat is one of the must see attractions in the visitor guidebook. The YorkBoat sailed from Lendal Bridge to Kings Staith Bridge. York's history past and present will be communicated to the passenger by the Captain.

The YorkBoat
Last but not least, city walls. The city walls of the York is the finest and most complete walls of the town in England. The City Walls trails will used up approximately 2 hours around the entire circuit of 2 miles. Along the walk, we experienced the view from the walls and the historical value of the city.

City Walls..a small part of it
view from city walls
railway station from city walls
Before the end of the day, we captured a photo at the York Railway Station while waiting for the train. An enjoyable day for six of us.

us @ York Railway Station

No comments:

Post a Comment