Sunday, September 6, 2009

Local Friends Scheme

I had registered myself with the Local Friends Scheme once I know about the program organised by the University. Personally, I found it as a good chance to know more about the local peoples in Sheffield, about the culture and living.

It was a surprise when I received the college email confirming my attendance of the program. I am so excited and could not wait to meet up with my host, Ms Beth Goldsmith. However, it turns into worries while we wait at the entrance of Blackwell. Joanne and me was thinking, how are they going to recognise us. Should we rang them up? We saw a lady walking towards us while we are in confusion. And so, we met up with our host, Ms Beth.
the lamp hanging in the living room :)

a cosy house
We visited her house and have a nice english tea-time. She introduced us on what is a proper english tea. They used to have a cup of coffee/ tea/ juice, sandwiches, cakes, scones, and chips as they tea. We shared the living culture and style of English people and Malaysian. A surprise is that their main family activity is to camping. Erm, I only go to camp with my friends in Malaysia.

Later on, Goldsmith families brought us to the Sheffield Museum. I do not noticed that there is a Museum in Sheffield until I been there. They told us about the history of Sheffield. It was a city which famous with steel. The steelworks were a key target for German bombers. It was bombed in year 1940 and it damages the city. Beth told me that Sheffield has been a very dirty city due to the steelwork, however it turns into one of the greenest cities in Europe. Thanks for the hardwork of peoples over million of years.

Besides the World War II, Sheffield gone through flood in 1864. It sweep off the north west part of sheffield and destroyed 100 buildings, 400 homes and killed 240 peoples in 40 minutes.

Beth asked me a question during the visit to museum. "Do you know where is the Jelly Babies was made?" I shaked my head and she told me it was first made in Sheffield by Cadbury Schweppers Plc. So guys, please remember Sheffield when you have the yummy Jelly Babies. :)

The Goldsmith family drive us home after the visit. It was a nice day out. A nice talk and experience to Sheffield, and the local family. Thanks to Goldsmith family.

the living room...with books & cds...

lovely books ;P

and, some cactus to make the house warm

No comments:

Post a Comment